George Jardine has recently published a new series of video tutorials for Adobe Camera Raw.
This set of 25 all-new video tutorials contains over 4.5 hours of the most comprehensive training available on the Camera Raw 8 Photoshop Plug-In. In this series George covers the raw processing controls from top to bottom. Starting from the ground up, he guides you through a complete understanding of each and every control.
In addition to basic adjustments, George also covers important details no other videos touch, such as the intricate relationships between the local and global adjustments, how Smart Objects work, as well as a deep dive on working with RGB files.
Adobe has just released the GM versions of Lightroom 5.3 and Camera Raw 8.3. If you have been using the release candidates that went live in early November you’ll already be familiar with most of the new features. Lightroom 5.3 is primarily a bug fix version but also includes support for new camera models.
Downloads for Lightroom 5.3 can be obtained from:
To obtain Camera Raw 8.3 you should use the Update feature with Photoshop CC
The new features in Camera Raw 8.3 include the following:
- Auto straighten: You can automatically straighten a picture in three ways: (1) double-click on the Straighten Tool button icon in the toolbar, (2) with the Straighten Tool selected, double-click anywhere within the preview image, and (3) with the Crop Tool selected, press the usual command key (on Mac) or control key (on Windows) to temporarily switch to the Straighten Tool, and double-click anywhere within the preview image.
- Whites and Blacks now support Auto Levels-like functionality via shift-double-click on the sliders.
- Added separate Auto Temperature and Auto Tint feature. Shift-double-click to invoke “auto temperature” and “auto tint” separately.
- Added feature to set the background color of the work area and toggle the visibility of the hairline frame around the image. Context-click outside the image in the work area to select an option from a popup menu.
- Added option-click shortcut in Synchronise, New Preset, Save Settings, and Copy/Paste (Bridge) dialog boxes. Option-click a checkbox to check that box exclusively. Option-click again to toggle previous checkbox state.
- Added Camera Matching color profiles (Natural, Muted, Portrait, Vivid) for the following Olympus cameras
Note: features in bold are also included in Lightroom 5.3
Bugs fixed in Lightroom 5.3 include:
The following bugs that were part the Lightroom 5 have been corrected. The team appreciates the very detailed feedback the community has provided on Lightroom 5 and we’re excited to correct a number of issues experienced by our customers. These issues have been FIXED:
- Issues when upgrading catalog from previous versions of Lightroom.
- Incorrect photos are displayed after switching away from a Publish Collection.
- Catalog optimisation did not finish, and was not optimising the catalog
- Feather of clone spots is set to zero after upgrading catalog to Lightroom 5.
- Auto White Balance settings are not saved to Snapshots.
- Sony 18-55mm lens is detected as the Hasselblad 18-55mm lens for lens correction.
- Increased Update Spot Removal history steps when in Before and After view.
- Slideshows start playing automatically even when the Manual Slideshow option is enabled.
- Video playback stops when dragging on the scrubber.
- Errors when publishing photos to Flickr through the Publish Service.
- Option + drag on Edit Pin behavior is functioning incorrectly.
- Black border appears around the exported slideshow video.
- Catalog containing images processed with PV2003 were adding a post-crop vignette when catalog upgraded to Lightroom 5.
- Pressing the “Reset” button while holding down the Shift key caused Lightroom to exit abruptly.
- Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction were not applied to exported images that were resized to less than 1/3 of the original image size.
- The Esc key did not exit the slideshow after right clicking screen with mouse during slideshow playing.
- Import dialog remained blank for folders that contain PNG files with XMP sidecars.
- Metadata panel displayed incorrect information after modifying published photo. Please note that this only occurred when metadata was changed after the photo was published.
New camera models supported include:
- Canon PowerShot S120
- Fujifilm XQ1
- Fujifilm X-E2
- Nikon 1 AW1
- Nikon Coolpix P7800
- Nikon D610
- Nikon D5300
- Olympus OM-D E-M1
- Olympus STYLUS 1
- Panasonic DMC-GM1
- Phase One IQ260
- Phase One IQ280
- Sony A7 (ILCE-7)
- Sony A7R (ILCE-7R)
- Sony DSC-RX10