The last big update to Lightroom mobile was back in July (version 2.8). This latest update brings with it new features, a new name, and a new application icon.
The background to the new name and application icon are directly linked to the release of a new desktop based application called Lightroom CC (more about same in a day or so). The official line from Adobe being a common name and logo for all clients of the Adobe Creative Cloud ecosystem. An alternative explanation might be – Adobe marketing taking the opportunity to create confusion were none previously existed. Either way, Lightroom mobile is now Lightroom CC iOS and Lightroom CC Android, where iOS and Android denote that they’re clients intended for mobile devices rather than the desktop.
So, what’s new in Lightroom CC iOS?
Organise/All Photos/Camera Roll:
- Folders – unlike conventional Operating System folders, these are containers into which Albums can be placed (i.e. similar to Collection Sets). It’s therefore import to note that you cannot put actual photos into a folder.
- The bottom bar that previously included the camera roll and capture button has been replaced with a blue FAB (floating action button) in Organise and All Photos.
- Focus peaking! See in live view how your focus changes when using the manual focus.
In below screenshot, you can see the Organise view with All Photos shown top left and two Folders, each containing multiple albums, below
In this next screenshot, I’ve expanded one of the folders to show the individual Albums stored within it.
- You can now jump to the top in Organise and All Photos by tapping on free space in the top bar.
- Blue bar confirms move of Albums/Folders
- Delete Photos from Album possible (not only remove)
- Coming back to Grid from Loupe highlights the Photo in the Grid
- Rejected Photos are dimmed in the Grid
- Better visualisation of Locally Stored Albums
- The Segment headers in Grid have an unfold for the Segment
- Fading slider panel when adjusting a slider while panel is overlapping the photo on iPad
- reduced the size of the side panel on the iPad
- Presets, Crop and Selective moved to the right bar
- Tap on the blue bar in search now jumps back into search
- Improved alert when leaving a search with the back button
- Keywords – Add them in the Keywords section, you can also add multiple keywords at once by separating them with a comma.
- Copy/paste keywords via ••• menu
- Keywords can sync with Lightroom CC Desktop, but not Lightroom Classic.
- Search is now also available in the Album/Collection view — how does it feel?
- You can now pause (and resume) sync in the Cloud panel (helpful when travelling, expensive hot spots, limited WiFi etc.)
- Improved navigation when removing album from folder
- Updated “Help & Support” section in the Lr menu — still work in progress
- In order to make a set filter more visible we now have a blue line, when a filter is active
- Scrolling to just created item in the albums view and in the albums picker
- Change in the Sync settings: Smart Preview is now the default, for cellular usage you can choose between on/off
- Changed “Show All” in the filter options to “No Filter” to point out the possibility of a filter reset
- Import from iOS Files (iOS 11)
- Export to iOS Files (iOS 11)
- Various layout adjustments
- Clean up: ••• menus now hide options that are not available
- Improved speed rating experience
- “Add photos” in album ••• includes “Files”
- “Add photos” now possible in organize